- 2014: Doctor Honoris Causa, Stockholm University - Faculty of Social Sciences
- 2013: Winner of the Academy of Management 2013 Halloran Award (Management History Division) for the paper
that “best informs and enlightens current
thinking on important issues in the field of business ethics based on
historical research and/or theory". For the paper "Limited Liability and its Moral Hazard Implications: An Alternative
Reading of the Financial Crisis" (co-author Joel Bothello).
- 2012: Winner of an Outstanding Author Contribution Award for "The Power of “Limited Liability” – Transnational Communities and Cross-Border Governance" (co-author Sigrid Quack) in Research in the Sociology of Organizations, 33. Emerald Literati Network 2012 Awards for Excellence.
- Since June 2011: Appointed Member of the International Advisory Board, Hanken School of Economics, Helsinki - Finland
- Since September 2009: Elected Member of the Board, European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management (EIASM)
- Since May 2009 – Elected Member of the Royal Society of Sciences of Uppsala University (Foreign Member)
- September 2007: Speaker of the Year for the Uppsala Lectures in Business, Uppsala, Sweden
- 2002-2003 : Kerstin Hesselgren Chair, Sweden (see above)
- 2000 : Max Weber Best Book Award for Exporting the American Model. American Sociological Association, Washington, August. First European to be granted this Award.
- 1996: Dissertation nominated for the American Sociological Association’s Best Dissertation of the Year award.
- 1994-96: Awarded two Krupp Fellowships for research and writing of the PhD dissertation. Granted, on a competitive basis, by the Centre for European Studies, Harvard University.